"I Am The West" Talk

Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 8:56 AM

a thread for anything to do with cube new album.
what does everyone think of the name?

Replies to This Posting

1. RE:

Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I'd be cool with that title but he needs have some west coast production on the album along with some west coast features other wise it don't make sense. Like Snoops last album Malice In Wonder Land for example, it had a dope cover that looked like something you'd see on a Lil Rob album or on one of them lowrider shirts, then on the inside he's sitting next to the Straight Outta Compton and Eazy-Duz-It Records but then the music was totally different, more south than anything else; false advertizing. So if Ice Cube is going to name it something having to do with the west coast then he needs to come off like he's from the west coast. It annoys me when I see west coast artist name their song/album west coast this or west coast that and then when you listen to it they sound like they're from everywhere else but west coast; no wonder why the west isn't on top right now. But to answer you question, yeah the title sounds good but if the album sounds like his last 2 albums did (good albums but were missing that west coast sound except on a couple of tracks) then I would have to disagree with the title. I don't think the title will fit the album from the sound of the 2 tracks he put up on the video where he's in the studio (specially the second song) that's just IMO.

" Lyrics aint nothin' if the beat aint crackin' and knees be smackin', that's why the G's keep stackin' " - DJ Quik

2. RE:

Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 4:35 PM

i thinks its cool, but i think westcoast warlord woulda been cool

3. RE: Can`t Wait for Fresh Cube

Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:01 PM

The most beautiful in all this is waiting for the next album, and every time Ice Cube throws on his knees. For me, Raw Footage and Laugh Now, Cry Later is saga, and what the next album? Let it be first.

4. RE:

Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 8:10 AM

Lame Name. There are another MCs in the West who are very skilled too.
    Since it's 2010, It should be called 'The New Hip Hop Decade'. His album should have G-Funk production like in Lethal Injection and hardcore style like Death Certificate, if it's possible. Plus Cube should quit playing in lame children movies.

5. RE: RE:

Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Westside_Ridah wrote:
    Since it's 2010, It should be called 'The New Hip Hop Decade'. His album should have G-Funk production like in Lethal Injection and hardcore style like Death Certificate, if it's possible. Plus Cube should quit playing in lame children movies.

i dont think its lame i think is awesome, plus cube is tha west coast king :D

6. RE:

Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 2:37 PM

I think the name is cool as long as he stays true to the name. No south or east coast collabos west coast production have dre produce some tracks then it will be crackin'.

7. RE:

Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 4:20 PM

yeah its a good name cube will work hard on this one just keep it west coast features b real, warren g, wc, mc ren, dre, snoop, king t, the game. ect ect

8. RE:

Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 6:24 AM

This Name is cool I Am The West

9. RE:

Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 6:32 AM

I am The wesT ......

is a great title mainn...

I canT wait mannnn ...

Ice Cube babyyyy

10. RE:

Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 7:12 AM

name is pretty dope
    |always listening ice cube music|

11. RE: I Am The West

Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 9:06 AM

The name is dope. It's simple and to the point. Might as well lock the title down cause any of the West Coast Heavy Hitters could have used it. E40, Snoop, Too Short or even an independent artist. Someone had suggested "West Coast Warlord"....that's tight too.

12. RE:

Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:47 AM

i think the name is cool, but i hope he doesn't collab with the south,east or midwest, if he keeps it west coast with good rappers then its all good, and i hope this album would also be about the government, etc just like raw footage and also have tracks like laugh now cry later.

and about ice cube making children movies, the guy is 40 years old, hes almost my dad's age haha. Hes too old and wise to be all gangsta any more and for some reason he still keeps it gangsta even when hes 40 and i liked how he switched his style from being all gangsta when he was in his 20's to more of talking about the government etc. and thats what i like about cube, he keeps it gangsta and you'll still learn things from his music.

13. RE: RE:

Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Westside_Ridah wrote:

NO-ONE is going to do G-funk anymore, face it. it had it's time, and it had classics, but it's in the past. let it go! lol. also, all his albums have been 'hardcore', not just death certificate.

14. RE: RE:

Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 11:29 AM

neilfy wrote:
    Westside_Ridah wrote:

NO-ONE is going to do G-funk anymore, face it. it had it's time, and it had classics, but it's in the past. let it go! lol. also, all his albums have been 'hardcore', not just death certificate.

g funk is still around warren g new album is class still has that funk just like all his albums but cube does hardcore which suits him real good

15. RE: RE:

Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 1:21 PM

irishyouth wrote:
    neilfy wrote:
    Westside_Ridah wrote:

g funk is still around warren g new album is class still has that funk just like all his albums but cube does hardcore which suits him real good

maybe, but look at how that album did, hasn't exactly shifted any great units. however, if you still wanna count him, no-one ELSE does it :P lol

16. RE: RE:

Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 4:21 PM

neilfy wrote:
    irishyouth wrote:
    neilfy wrote:
    Westside_Ridah wrote:

maybe, but look at how that album did, hasn't exactly shifted any great units. however, if you still wanna count him, no-one ELSE does it :P lol

the reason why he has nt shifted much is because he did nt get much radio play the dj s control the music

17. RE:

Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Ice Cube doesn't necessarily have to use g funk type beats on his record but for example "State of Emergency" on The Games LAX album had Ice Cube on the hook and it had that classic west coast synth sound on it and it sounded fresh but still west coast; too bad Cube didn't spit a verse on it. On WC's Guilty By Affiliation album songs like This is Los Angeles, West Coast Voodoo, Paranoid, etc., were all over some hardcore beats but still had that west coast touch to them and they worked perfectly. A couple years back when Battlecat produced the lead single Cali Iz Active for the Dogg Pound album, that shit banged, it was g funk but it was just updated and it still sounded dope; it all depends how it's done. A couple of my favorite west coast tacks that have come out in the last few years are Da Shit and Remedy off of The Game's Doctors Advocate album and Pacific Coast off of DJ Quik's Trauma album, they all sound different but all have a tight west coast sound.

I don't think it doesn't really matter if Ice Cube uses hardcore beats or g funk beats or whatever as long as he puts that west coast touch on it and raps hard. If Cube continues to use south beats with several south features his new album is gonna end up sounding uneven which is why his last couple albums have been good but not classics. Lyrically Ice Cube is still on point (as long as he's not saying certain things that you hear south rapper say all the time on their songs, it sounds out of place coming from Ice Cube) but the production and features have been slippin'.

" Lyrics aint nothin' if the beat aint crackin' and knees be smackin', that's why the G's keep stackin' " - DJ Quik

18. RE:

Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 6:26 AM

The name is great... it totally represents Cube's legacy as one of the best westcoast rappers, and one of the people that actually started the west coast movement.
    no other title could've expressed better cube's influence over rap music, he is the west and I'm sure he'll deliver a heavy hitting record that both veteran and new fans will greatly enjoy
    also. if Crazy Toons is still around, he'll probably deliver great west sound

19. RE: RE:

Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 8:50 AM

neilfy wrote:
    Westside_Ridah wrote:

OK by your statement noone should do G-Funk anymore. So that means we can throw all Real Hip Hop MCs away, cause that real shit style aint that popular anymore.
    Yeah his CDs always been hardcore, but you know, I want that radical Ice Cube style back like in the first 4 albums. His energy on those CDs made me a Ice Cube fan.

20. RE:

Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:14 AM

My ladie?s Cube does have PYROCLASTIC Flow and it`s all IN W ALL IN W. One thing to say 'FUCK FUCK THA POLICE FUCK THA SYSTEM' and hear`it SZ to CZ NWT KLIKA zreszta po polskiemu nawijka Kosteczko Lodu która mnie kszta?towa?a t?umaczyc nie musze niczego bo wiem ze od chujka ludzi ?wieci na to co pisze, cokolwiek wypisze i tak wiem ze trzeba robic nam przyszlo robic. Cube come to Poland, we are waiting 4 U Warlord, Tha Grand Wizard, The Brainiac, U are my sens of Life got heart full of love 4
    ICE CUBE, and fuck the lames true, G like Cubee will never collapse.

Newsletter Signup